I have already heard several people talk about their New Year’s resolutions for the coming year. If our church’s namesake, the Apostle Paul made a New Year’s Resolution, I wonder what it would be? Please allow me to make a suggestion…..a possible resolution of St. Paul’s could come from 1 Corinthians 2:2. “For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.”
According to Rick Warren, St. Paul’s message is radically simple…..salvation is in Christ alone:
• It’s not Christ plus your good behavior.
• It’s not Christ plus the number of verses you memorize.
• It’s not Christ plus being super active in church.
• It’s not Christ plus your tithe.
• It’s not Christ plus wisdom from the latest Christian seminar.
• It’s not Christ plus the years you taught a Bible study.
• It’s not Christ plus the perfect spouse.
• It’s not Christ plus well-behaved children.
• It’s not Christ plus the right job.
• It’s not Christ plus a good driving record.
A likely New Year’s resolution from St. Paul would be…..it is simply Christ, plus nothing else.
Please allow me to make one other suggestion…..if you already have a New Year’s resolution or not, please consider the following. For the coming year focus on Jesus…..focus on who he is and what he has done, and is doing for us. Focus on his grace and discover the freedom that is found there. If you do this with renewed zeal and vigor, your 2017 will be a happy new year indeed!